Eating the Wahls Way???
Here are three simple food rules to follow to ensure you will have enough building blocks on hand for optimal function of your brain and reduced risk of excessive inflammation.
- Eat 9 cups of vegetables and fruit (3 green, 3 sulfur, 3 color) to ensure you have enough B vitamins, minerals (sulfur, iodine, magnesium), antioxidants, and essential fats through food (greens, seafood, grass fed meat, game, wild fish, flax, walnuts)
- Reduce food allergy risk (go gluten-free and dairy-free)
- Eat organic, locally grown foods and grow more of your own
Tips to eat the Wahls Way???
- Focus on greens, in smoothies, salads, chips, soups and stews.
- Steam kale 30 seconds to cut the bitterness and use as a wrap for meat, chicken salad or tuna salad.
- Make chicken nachos: cover corn chips with finely chopped kale, onions, and tomatoes. Top with vegan (gluten-free, dairy-free and soy-free) imitation cheese shreds. Broil.
- Mix kale with other leaf lettuce for salads.
- Marinate kale in lime juice or vinegar and sea salt for 30 minutes to overnight to cut the bitterness and soften.
- Add grated fresh ginger to kale salads to cut the bitterness.
- For green smoothies, use this basic recipe: 1 cup greens, 2 cups fruit or juice, 1-2 cups ice. Be mindful of the colors! If you mix greens and purples you will end up with a brown smoothie, which may be less appealing.
- Rotate through different greens, such as kale, spinach, lettuce, beet greens, mustard greens, and parsley so that you don???t eat just one kind of green.
Kale chipsKale is packed with vitamins and minerals and is very inexpensive for the nutrition contained within. Chips are a great way to enjoy kale -- even your teenagers will enjoy.
- 1 bunch kale (remove stems ??? save for smoothies)
- 1-2 tsp sea salt, 1 tbsp vinegar, 1-2 tsp black pepper, ?? tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix seasoning with kale (it will shrink by 50%)
- Add 1 to 2 tbsp walnut oil and ?? cup nutritional yeast to coat leaves
- Lay leaves on dehydrator tray and dehydrate at 95 degrees overnight or bake in the oven at 250 to 300 degrees until crispy, checking every 15 minutes till crunchy.
Beet SmoothieBeets are packed with vitamins and minerals and are very inexpensive for the nutrition contained within them. Blend the following for a refreshing smoothie.
- 1/2 beet (sliced or chopped)
- 1-2 cups orange juice
- 1 apple
- 1 cup water or iced tea
- 1 cup ice
- Fresh ginger to taste